-

Friday, November 26, 2010

Friend Friday: Blog Post Swap

Please welcome Fabienne from The House in the Clouds.  She is my guest blogger today via Fashion Beauty Friend Friday.

She participated in Kendi's 30 for 30 remix.  I asked her to tell us a little bit about her experience and why she decided to take the challenge.

You can view my post over on her site The House in the Clouds and find out my thoughts on not taking the 30 for 30 remix challenge.



Brett invited me to share my thoughts and personal experience with Kendi Everyday's 30 for 30 Remix.


I read about it on a post from a friend on Facebook. I was immediately intrigued, I love a good challenge, especially one that won't require a large investment of time or money. It sounded like a good exercise in frugality, creativity and self-discipline, all noble pursuits.


About ten years ago, I got laid off as a by-product of the dot.com crash. During what felt like eons of under- and un-employment I had the chance to explore ways to keep my passions engaged at a fraction of the cost. All it took was little investigative effort and some creativity. Sometimes, it lead to pushing myself just outside of my comfort zone. The remix challenge was a little reminiscent of that time, except this would be by choice.

We live in such a consumer-driven world, I honestly love the acquisition of something new, or new-to-me. But as my own disciplinarian I also have to stop once in a while and ask "how much is too much?" This challenge came at a good time to put things in perspective.

The challenges?
• I didn't throw in my tried-and-true familiar outfits in the mix on purpose but there were a couple days when I really just wanted the comfort of those old favorites.
• Realizing I don't own a lot of basics and I couldn't just through something together quickly more than once or twice.

The reward?
• Discovering a whole world of creative and inspiring ladies that knowingly and unknowingly supported my endeavors.
• Finding new ways to wear old or difficult items.
• Rediscovering fun with fashion.
• Taking time out from impulsive purchases and having a chance to consider what would be a valuable addition to my wardrobe.
• Pushing my boundaries and having a sense of humor with the results.
• I started my blog and discovered a new outlet for one of my passions.
• I overcame feeling self-conscious at taking my own pictures daily very quickly.

Lastly, I moved a lot of my non-remix clothes out of the way to another closet so that they wouldn't be in the way. The other day, I took a look and was so excited to be able to wear them soon. All of a sudden, they feel brand new!

It's pretty obvious the rewards outweighed the challenges. Taking chances is one of the ways I choose to give myself this perspective. More often than not, it works out for the better. Besides, it's been a lot of fun!

Deets: Dijon dress/ModCloth, peacock tights/ModCloth, black turtleneck/Benetton, black ballet shoes/Ecco, Tina Flapper hat/Goorin Bros.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the peacock tights are most excellent! I think I must have visited your new blog during the challenge...unless you are filed under the T's. I've been going through a few each day of the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Great guest post and I'm all about the yellow at the moment! xo

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love those boots. And your thoughts on the challenge are really interesting. Great to see what others have gained from doing it.

Tanya said...

Love this outfit!

http://therenaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.com/

Tanya said...

Love this outfit!

http://therenaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.com/